|The Haggart Mill complex, on Perth's Mill Street, amongst the town's most important industrial sites in its day, was launched by Alexander Thom, in 1817. At its peak, it included a flour mill, sawmill and oatmeal mill on the main channel of the Tay River and carding mill on the Little Tay. Its most famous owner, John Haggart, MP and Cabinet Minister, was instrumental in the resurrection of the Tay Canal in 1891. His beautiful home still stands beside the mill site.
This gallery contains a short photographic record of some of the area mills that are still standing, documenting the remains of this wonderful heritage that provided so much to the economy in the early days of the region. You may learn more about these mills in the report "Mills of the Tay and Area", located at: Tay Canal and River History Page.
Many of these photos were produced by members of the Lanark County Camera Club, in 2005, in cooperation with the Friends of the Tay Watershed Association. The photos in this section were provided by Ralph Buttrum; Paul Sturmey; David Zimmerly; Graeme Crab; Gary Webster; and David Taylor.
Copyright Notice: These photos are the property individual photographers (credited on the photos). Please contact us for permission to use them.